Every girl loves a twirly skirt

I'm continuing my outfit stories with my outfit from Sunday, which was a little outside of my comfort zone, but I'm experimenting here.


The main piece of my outfit here is my skirt, which is a simple gathered, elastic waist skirt that I made.  Last summer I had originally made a strappy dress with a gathered skirt out of this fabric, but I wasn't a big fan of the proportions and I only wore it once.  I was thinking it would be a simple thing to turn it into a gathered skirt, so Saturday I did so!  Full skirts aren't typically my jam, as I'm pretty straight up and down, and full skirts aren't that flattering, I think.  The lightweight silk is so flowy and fun though, and I'm on board.  I do think I want to shorten it a few inches but I just didn't have it in me on Saturday to do so (miles of doing a skinny hem on lightweight silk is not for the faint of heart).

I paired it with another item that is a bit more loose than I typically wear, this tie-front button down.  I'm trying to love this shirt, but I'm just not sure.  It probably would have helped if I would have ironed it, but I hate fussy clothes (anything that requires ironing is fussy in my book).  I actually bought this shirt in white, navy/white check, and a yellow floral from American Eagle earlier this year, and I've worn the yellow floral and white ones multiple times, trying to decide how I feel about them.  They were on sale (maybe $20-25), so they weren't expensive, and I thought they would be a nice breezy style to wear in the hot days of Jersey summers, but I'm still on the fence.  I think I like the white one the best though.

The shoes I had bought last year, I think, and I thought they would be a great neutral to add into my wardrobe, but I just don't wear them enough!  I love the style (the heel in particular is so fun), and the warm grey color is definitely a neutral, I just think they're a bit dressier than I wear in my day to day life.  I need to up my game I think!  The funny thing is that I wore them with the dress the one time I wore it before, so apparently I just need to pair them with blue!



Comments

STAshworth said…
My comment on your last post never posted, but I’m willing to try again. I missed you!

I remake my clothes fairly often. Sometimes you have to wear a garment a bit to figure out what doesn’t work about it.

I wear a lot of cotton. I wash it on delicate and then tumble dry on no heat for a while, then hang to dry under a ceiling fan. I suspect the heat of a dryer can sometimes set wrinkles. I also find that as cotton ages it softens and is less prone to wrinkling.
McLaura said…
So good to hear from you, Susan! I'm glad to be back too - it's so fun to analyze my sewing and outfits through writing. I remake sooo many of my clothes if they don't work quite right. I buy pretty nice fabric usually, so I can't bear to waste it, so I end up with a lot of tank tops as I figure out what I can make out of other garments. :)

Thanks for the tip on the drying - I dry everything and it usually sits either in the dryer or the basket for a while before I get around to hanging it up. Good to know I can save myself some work if I actually stay on top of it!

Popular Posts