I'm back!

After almost a year, I think I'm ready to come back to the ol' blog!  Not that I probably have any readers anymore, but I do miss being able to write more than I do on Instagram.  I've been toying with the idea starting back up for a while now, but I read an article on Man Repeller today that I thought was super fun and would mimic, which is called Outfit Anatomy, breaking down the individual items in an outfit, with how much they cost, where they came from, and my favorite part, an interesting story about them (whether it's where/how you bought it, an important time you wore it, how you felt then, etc).  I really do love clothes because I think they are powerful in many ways (creating a mood, enhancing a feeling, wearing armor, etc), but I do feel a little superficial sometimes thinking too much about clothes.  At the same time, making clothes is one of my main hobbies, so of course I'm going to think about them!

Anyways, time to dive in!  Today's outfit isn't that interesting (although #farmerlaura does make an appearance, which definitely has some feelings attached to it), so I'll go back to Monday's outfit, which I wore to the office.  First off, I didn't use to dress up a ton to go to the office, back in DC.  I mean, I wore professional clothes, but I noticed my first week in the Philly office (same company, just a different culture) that I was the only woman wearing pants and no heels.  So let's just say I've stepped up my game a bit, and also working from home most of the time means that it is fun to dress up a bit from time to time.

All that to say, this isn't an outfit I probably would have worn to the office in DC, and I don't know that it's something I would call classic Laura, but I did enjoy it!




We'll start with the dress - I should probably actually do a full post just about the dress, because I did make it, and it had a lot of drama just in the making.  As always happens, I was rushing to make a dress to wear to a friend's wedding back in April, and there were some snafus, but overall I was pretty pleased with the final product.  My Instagram account (@lmcwethy) is mostly for sewing, so I've been trying to post more in progress photos lately, and I definitely crowd-source some decisions (I debated adding the bottom ruffle or not for quite a while), so that has been a fun addition to my sewing, and I really enjoy making sewing a bit more of a social activity vs. solo.

The dress by itself was a bit much just for the office though (spaghetti straps), so I needed to cover up a bit, despite it officially being summertime in Jersey now.  This cardigan is probably one of the newest items in my closet, as it was a spontaneous purchase a few weeks ago, on another day I went into the office.  Despite being almost summer at the time, it was really cold, and I hadn't brought a sweater or jacket into the office, so I ducked into Nordstrom Rack during lunch and bought a jacket to wear over my shirt.  At the same time, I saw this red cardigan and wanted it as well (something like $20)!  It is a little out of my normal range (I have multiple black and white cardigans, but no colorful ones), but I wanted a colorful one, and I like the shorter length of it.  I had bought a similar cream cardigan/sweater last winter that I didn't like at first (outside of my comfort zone), and ended up falling in love with, so thought this one would be good too!  It's also really lightweight and a bit sheer, so works well for summer AC situations.

The final piece of my outfit is this pair of shoes, which is the first time I've worn them.  I bought them a few months ago, but let's just say I went on a bit of a shoe hiatus when I had to wear the oh so lovely boot for my foot injury.  I basically just wore one sandal for like 3 weeks straight, because it was the right height to match the boot, and I don't think I can wear those sandals again for the rest of the summer!  Anyways, this pair is similarly a bit outside of my normal style, as I'm not a big fan of ballet flats (although a pointed toe is up my alley), but the ankle strap makes it work for me, somehow.  One of the reasons I don't like ballet flats (or slides, or anything like that), is that they slip and slide and I don't feel very secure.  I like to feel secure.  I'm a pretty clumsy person (which I come by honestly - like father, like daughter), so it gives me a little more confidence to have a strap.  If I recall correctly, they were an impulse purchase also at Nordstrom Rack (a bit of a pattern there), when I popped in to see if I could find a back-up cocktail dress to wear to that same wedding (also something I typically do in the mad sewing dash before an event).  I did find a dress, but I somehow convinced myself I needed another pair of black dressy shoes ($40 or so on sale) to join the approximately 40% of my shoe closet that is already black dressy shoes.  What can I say, even if the style isn't typically what I would pick, I do know what I like!

So there you have it - the story behind my outfit!  Do you analyze why you wear what you wear, or am I just neurotic?

Comments

Popular Posts