Thursday, March 31, 2016

Back in the Sewing Studio

It's been a little while since I've been able to devote most of a Saturday to sewing, but I was finally able to do so last weekend!  I finished up four different projects (most of them were just about complete), in an effort to actually clean up my in-progress list, and of course to finish something up in time to wear for Easter!  That is for another post though - today's outfit incorporates a simple dress to skirt conversion.  I've had this dress for quite a while, but hadn't worn it in quite a while, and thought I would enjoy it better as a skirt.  I cut the top half off probably about a year ago, and it had been relegated to the clothing rack where projects go to die.  I rescued it though, and added a simple elastic waistband, done by serging the skirt to the lining fabric, flipping it over to the inside and sewing it down with the elastic inside.  I initially tried serging the elastic directly to the skirt, but that didn't work out so well.  Super simple fix, and now I have a cute, springy skirt!





Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Time for a Refresh

I had made this dress a few years ago, and while I loved the fabric and the idea of it, there were a couple of things that bothered me.  Since then, I have learned that for some reason, most necklines in patterns that are technically my size are just way too wide for my frame, so I typically adjust the neckline, but I hadn't learned that trick yet, so instead I had to make a little tuck at the center front of the neckline.  While not too terrible, it just wasn't the look I was going for.  The second thing is that it is a tad short for my everyday life.  John always likes to say I'm too modest, but I just didn't like it without tights.  It was relegated to being my bathing suit cover up for a few years, and it worked quite well, but I wanted to get it back into my everyday wardrobe, so I sliced and diced it a few weeks ago.


I've had this picture saved for quite a while now, which I think came from one of the many pictures I've torn out of magazines over the years.  I wanted to do something similar with the dress, but obviously I would only have enough fabric left for a top, once I took care of the too-wide neckline. 


So I chopped off the top, slimmed up the body, and recut the neckline, adding solid black knit bands to the neckline and armholes.  All in all, a quick fix, but I love the end result!