Thursday, August 6, 2015

Travel Day - 8/6/15

I'm headed off to Michigan this evening, and dressed for the plane ride.  Comfy jeans and tee (another linen one!), and scarf that can double as a wrap if necessary.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Reminiscing through my wardrobe - 8/5/15

Back in high school, I had a shirt I loved dearly, as evidenced by this oh so awesome (seriously, what was I thinking?) senior photo:

Side note:  I had actually made that skirt as well, from two scarves my uncle brought back from Hong Kong.  It was probably one of the first actual garments I made that I ended up wearing.

Any-who, fast forward to today, where I had found this yellow shirt (again with the putrid yellow), and the gathering at the neckline and armholes really reminded me of my old favorite shirt.  Fun times down the memory rack of my closet.


Such a peacock - 8/2/15

This is definitely what you would call a statement piece.  I bought it at a consignment shop a few years ago and I love it.  But when I bought it, it had sleeves, and was just a tad too small, so every time I would wear it, it would rip down the center back seam and every now and then around the arms.  So I would sew it back up and wear it again.  I don't know why it took me so long to figure out that if I took off the sleeves it would ease up the tension, and actually fit properly, so here it is, as a vest!

This is the first time I had ever worn it with shorts, and  I do think it looks better with pants, now that I see the photos.  My usual outfit pairings are skinny black pants, black turtleneck, and tall black boots.


Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Another Loose Dress - 7/26/15

I've been working from home the past few days, so not exactly inspiring outfits, but I did realize I didn't post Sunday's outfit.  I'm really liking this silhouette these days, which I guess is a sort of modified shirt-dress?  Basically a loose tank dress with a button-down front and a fabric belt.


Friday, July 24, 2015

Other random me-mades

This is a bit of a catch-all post.  While out at our cabin last weekend, I made sure to get photographic evidence of all the random things I've made over the past year or so that never quite made it on the blog.  Up first is the most recent, a little mini skirt I whipped up a month or two ago with a tiny remnant of some stretchy fabric I bought at from the bargain table at my old Falls Church fabric staple, G Street Fabrics.  The seams are a bit wobbly, so I'm not super happy about it, but it's not bad for eeking out every little bit of fabric possible.


The second one is from last summer, and also is fabric from G Street.  This was actually probably one of the most expensive fabrics I've ever purchased, but I had a groupon and I wanted to go big.  It's a beautiful silk chiffon, and I luckily found a matching solid remnant for lining.  Despite the fact that it was expensive fabric, I unwisely decided to wing it, and cut out the pieces too skinny, so there are side panels, as you can see in the middle photo.  Besides that, it was pretty straightforward, with two layers and pre-made bias tape for the straps. 

The last item is also from last summer, and is a pair of drawstring shorts that had a bit of a history.  I purchased this fabric from my old favorite DC fabric store, Exquisite fabrics, back when they were still within walking distance of my apartment.  I had purchased two fabrics for possibilities for making curtains for my pink bathroom, and I ended up going with the other one.  I've made a few tote bags with the fabric, and I started making a bubble skirt.  I wasn't happy with it, so I salvaged the fabric and turned them into shorts.  I didn't use a pattern, so they started out as approximately an XXXXL size, which I slowly whittled down to their current state.  


Thursday, July 23, 2015

Mixing it up a bit - 7/23/15

So after deciding last night that I didn't like my yellow sandals any more, I wanted to wear a new shirt that matched them perfectly, so here they are again.  I know it's not the most flattering color and not everybody likes it, but it just makes me happy!  The fact that it's a linen tee also makes me happy - I love linen tees so much.  They are so much cooler than a regular tee and a bit dressier, but still have that comfort and ease level.

I hesitated over just pulling out navy or black pants today, but figured, why not pair putrid yellow with putrid green?  Now that I look at the pictures, I think I probably would have been better off with navy, but I like to mix things up a bit.

I also broke out a necklace that has been lingering in my closet for a while now, unworn.  It's a bit intimidating to me, and I just haven't been able to figure out how to wear it, but I think simple everything else is the way to go.


Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Instagramming it up

To quote a show I've never watched (and my husband):

Twitter is stupid, and Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read.

That said, I've decided to take up instagramming.  I figure, it's a low-commitment version of blogging, so all my non-clothes related stuff will now go on instagram (@lmcwethy).  So far, I'm doing good, but we'll see how much material my normal daily life gives me.  I miss taking actual photos, so this is a good excuse to push myself a bit. :)