Picking My Capsule

 I've fallen behind on my schedule already for my wardrobe project!  I fully intended to have a capsule all selected for July and August, and have done some repairs and alterations to try and clean out my sewing room a bit and start fresh, but alas, it wasn't meant to be.  I have learned some interesting things along the way though, so here is my bit of an update!  

I was able to clear out a bunch of stuff I wasn't crazy about and get it out the door (my preferred method is ThredUp, which doesn't get you a lot of money back and takes forever, but Poshmark was way too much work and I mostly just cared about getting stuff out of my closet - any suggestions on a middle ground?).  I started pulling together my capsule and evaluating my "Maybe" category, but I stalled at a specific point, which I've never really identified before, but I've come to recognize it a pattern with me.  I have no problem selecting pants, shorts, a few dresses, etc, but I always get overwhelmed by shirts and can't come up with coherent outfits (unless it's a very basic shirt).  I've also been pulling my clothes as much as possible into a pinterest board (maybe not the best use of my time, but I love to see everything at once).  Below is the basis of my current working capsule, and it's boring, to say the least.


I have very slowly been working my way through an online garden design bootcamp, and I did an exercise the other day that made me think it would work here too actually.  She had me just go to my main pinterest feed and pin anything that I was attracted to (regardless of whether or not it was garden related) for 5-10 minutes, not thinking of where it would fit, etc, just going off of gut reaction, and then take a look at it all together and identify themes.  I was shocked at how well it all held together and I was able to identify some definite threads.  I know that something along those lines is a common exercise for figuring out your style, but for some reason I get all up in my head when I try to think about it in terms of fashion.  That said, I think having a little bit more free-flow pinterest inspiration will help, although it might be more helpful to focus on actual outfit ideas - we'll see, but I'm feeling better about it now, and I think I'll start with what I've already identified, and fill in from there.  

One thing I've gone back and forth on is having a separate work wardrobe.  I'm going into the office two days a week now, which isn't insubstantial, but probably doesn't warrant an entire section of my closet.  My office is on the dressy side of business casual, but I can get away with things too, so I never know which way to lean.  I like to have a suit or two (pre-covid, I probably wore a suit once every month or two), and I have a pair of black dress pants that I wear a lot exclusively for work, but I try to have shirts that do double-duty.  Practically speaking though, I do tend to split my shirts more into work and casual wear, so I might pay attention to that for a bit and evaluate going forward too.  Stay tuned for next time, when I hopefully have a clearer picture of what my capsule might look like!


Comments

Popular Posts