Getting Specific with Wardrobe Planning - Clear out the Clutter and my Head

 


Figuring out your style is complicated!  I've tried (i.e. read about and though about, but not actually tried) so many methods, but there are so many steps to define your style, figure out outfit formulas, what necklines and skirt silhouettes you like, finding style inspiration, and so on, it's just so overwhelming!  It's ironic that an attempt to simplify takes so many exhausting steps, so I want to break it down into the essentials so I can actually accomplish this.  I don't care if I have a perfectly defined style like chic quirky mod, but rather I just want clothes I'm comfortable in and feel good in.  Yes, it's helpful to have labels to immediately be able to say yes, that fits, or no, that isn't me, but I think there might be a middle ground between mindlessly following my targeted ads (which weirdly do help define my style), and spending hours going through worksheet after worksheet to nail down all the specifics (which I feel like are never set in stone, anyway). 

This is a pretty large, amorphous topic, even bigger when I throw the sewing side of things in there, so while I do have two concrete steps I can work on (deal with the mess of my recent shopping spree and evaluate/deal with my mending and alterations pile), the first step in my planning process will be to define what it is exactly I want out of wardrobe planning.

What I ultimately want out of this, and have been trying to achieve for years, is to take back space in my schedule and in my head for the pieces I enjoy, and put the rest on autopilot.  I devote way too much of my life to clothes, in that I feel like I haven't really gotten anything out of the time I've spent (at least a good chunk of it).  I always struggle a little bit with the idea that clothes and style is a frivolous pursuit, but I do think there is value in expressing yourself and being creative through style.  I mean, I do devote a lot of time to my sewing hobby, much of which isn't the actual act of sewing, but instead planning, and getting inspired and fabric shopping (my husband says I have a fabric buying hobby, not a sewing hobby).  I don't mind sewing planning, and I don't anticipate that becoming much less, but I would like the getting dressed/shopping part to be a bit more set it and leave it (at least seasonally).  I'm learning about myself that I like to dive into a project deeply, but be able to mix it up on a regular basis (so not have several long-term projects I work on at the same time).


While I ultimately do want to do some deeper thinking around why I want to simplify my wardrobe process/what I want out of it/what my style is ultimately, I think my bandwidth at the moment isn't there for this piece of it, so I'm focusing first on simplifying what I have at the moment, and setting up a capsule with what I already have to save some time for rest of the summer. 

Some specific next steps I want to implement over the next few months (trying to be as specific and measurable as possible!):

  1. Stop shopping - I spend a lot of time looking at ads, ordering clothes, trying on clothes, thinking about what I want to do with them, and then ultimately sending most of them back.  Not a useful cycle, especially when I think I have enough as it is, and would rather make new additions than buy them. Timeline - throughout June/July/August.
  2. Evaluate my current wardrobe - make sure I love everything and get rid of things I don't.  I can't count how many times I've done this at this point in my journey, but it is a crucial step!  Spend a couple of hours going through what I currently have and go with my gut (no wishy-washiness).  Timeline - four days, complete by 6/23.
  3. Evaluate my mending/alterations pile - In addition to my current wardrobe that is in good shape, I have a big pile of things that need tweaks or simple fixes up in the sewing room, so I want to make a detailed list of those (maybe get rid of some of them that I no longer care about), and schedule when I will make the repairs.  Timeline - four days, complete by 6/23.
  4. Come up with a deep summer capsule wardrobe - Spend a limited amount of time (a weekend?) and come up with a 30-50 item capsule wardrobe from my existing wardrobe for the super-hot days of July/August.  Specifically want to make sure I have a separate mini-capsule for workwear, to streamline commuting mornings.  Timeline - three days, complete by 6/26.
  5. Brainstorm lots of outfits with capsule wardrobe - Spend a few hours coming up with outfits using my capsule wardrobe pieces.  I should already have some ideas from putting together the capsule, but this way I'll have a concrete list that I can refer to when I'm feeling uninspired.  Timeline - four days, complete by 6/30.
  6. Tackle the mending/alterations pile - During the time that I'm brainstorming, I'm hoping to get some of the mending and altering done that I had previously evaluated (for items that I specifically want in my capsule only).  Timeline - four days, complete by 6/30. 
  7. Start thinking about long-term planning - Once I get through the rest of June, I hope to be on autopilot a bit for getting dressed, so I can devote some more energy to plan things out a bit more and start thinking about fall.  I'll probably take a little break from planning to give myself a mental breather, while taking notes on how I feel about the capsule.  In August, I'll pick back up with planning and start thinking about the fall!

 Whew, that feels like a lot in the next few weeks, but again, I'm hoping spending some dedicated time (within a limited timeframe), will force me to make some decisions and get moving!  Thanks for sticking along with this as I get through some of these more boring initial steps to clear the clutter (and clear my head).




Comments

Popular Posts