A new shirt for Easter!



This shirt was a really long time in the making - I think I bought this fabric at least eight years ago!  I wavered a while over whether or not to get it, as it wasn't cheap (I think it was a Marc Jacobs fabric), and there were two colorways that I hesitated which to get (the other one was blue and green, and I wish I got that one too!).  I finally bit the bullet, but then it sat in my stash for several more years, as I just wasn't confident enough in my skills to not screw it up, and I wasn't quite sure what to make with it. 

The fabric is really cool, with the base being a light purple sheer organza, and the red and dark purple shapes are actually embroidered onto it.   This did make it tricky for a couple of reasons - one, I couldn't decide for the life of me what color to line it with, and two, cutting into it means immediate fraying of all the embroidery.



About a year ago, I finally decided to just make it up in a Grainline Studio Scout tee, since that would be a simple shape that would let the fabric shine, and that way I could just wear a cami under it and not have to worry about what color to line it with. :)  I got it 95% of the way completed, with just the neckline to finish back in March of 2017, but then left it to sit for another year, so I don't remember most of the details.  I do remember I made the sleeves shorter, french-seamed the whole thing, and shortened the body.


I decided to finally finish it up in time to wear for Easter this year, since I always have to have a bright and colorful outfit!  I made up a bunch of bias tape and finished away.  I also attempted to make a pair of matching red silky pants, but they didn't turn out nearly as well, and are relegated to PJs (really comfy ones, at least).  I was talking to some friends on Sunday and surprised them with the fact that about half of my makes actually end up either in the trash or the donation bag. :)  I like to be realistic about these things!

Anyway, it turned out fabulous, and I think I will get a surprising amount of use out of it - a good lesson to just bite the bullet and use those special fabrics!




Comments

Popular Posts