Tied up in a bow

I'm working on cleaning up my sewing database, which is a spreadsheet that I use to keep track of my measurements, patterns, fabric, and projects (it's fairly complicated and I've gotten behind).  In doing so, I realized I have a ton of projects that I can post about!  I don't want to go back too far, so I'm starting back at the beginning of the year - fun fact is that I've completed 17 sewing projects and 1 knitting project, trashed 6 sewing projects and undid 1 knitting project, and currently have 11 sewing projects and 1 knitting project in process!

Anyways, onto the first two projects I finished up this year, which were basically the same pattern.  I had been seeing a lot of shirts with tie details lately, and decided to make my own.


Details - Shirt #1
Fabric:  Sweater knit from Emma One Sock
Size:  ?  Too long ago to remember
Modifications:  added front center seam, extended front pieces to add long ties

I started with my staple tee pattern, the Plantain tee from Deer and Doe (gotta love a free pattern!), and sliced the front piece into two, adding on a long tie along the center front.  I didn't really measure it out, basically just made it as long as I could and fit it on my fabric, and made it a couple of inches wide.  The picture below shows this probably a lot clearer than my rambling description.


I first sewed up the front seam, stopping just above my belly button (maybe about 12" down from the neck).  I then just sewed it up following the directions of the Plantain tee as written.  I didn't want to deal with finishing the edges of the tie (particularly since I was viewing it a bit as a muslin), so I stay-stitched it about 1/8" away from the edge and left it essentially a raw edge.  All in all, a quick and easy sew, and a fun outcome!

  


Details - Shirt #2
Fabric:  Jacquard knit from Emma One Sock
Size:  ?  Too long ago to remember
Modifications:  added front center seam, extended front pieces to add long ties

For my next version, I cut it out exactly like the first version, but with elbow-length sleeves instead of full (maybe because I didn't have enough fabric?).  I used this fabulous jacquard knit, also from Emma One Sock, which is a Diane Von Furstenberg - I'm never going to buy one of her garments, but her fabrics, while still pricey, are more in my range!

I sewed it up identically to the first version, but forgot to take one thing into account - my original sweater knit had a ton of stretch, and the jacquard version did not - it was very stable, with only 10-15% stretch.  Let's just say the wrap around the body did not work at all, and it was quite a snug fit!  I still love it though, and instead of the wrap tie, I just make a cute little bow in front.  it's fun to see how the same pattern can turn out so differently with different fabrics.


 



Comments

Popular Posts