Vacation Sewing, Miami Edition - Planning it out

Continuing with my sewing catch-up series of blog posts, last winter was cold and I was sick and tired of it, so I managed to talk John into a long weekend trip down to Miami in March.  I don't know what it is, but something about an upcoming vacation just makes me want to jump in and make an entire travel wardrobe every time.  It rarely actually happens (spoiler alert, it didn't this time), but that doesn't take away from the pleasure of going through my fabrics and picking out a mini capsule wardrobe.  I may or may not have even started planning the wardrobe before booking our trip, I was so excited to do so. :)

After pulling out all of my fabrics and pouring over them, I came up with the following plan:


Top row:  (1) self-drafted silk slip dress, (2) True Bias Ogden cami and self-drafted wrap skirt
Bottom row:  (1) Common Stitch Bluebell wrap top and Purl Soho City Gym shorts (2) Common Stitch Wattlebird cami and Purl Soho City Gym shorts (3) self-drafted ruffled lace top

I included a pair of RTW jeans and two items that I already made (the silk slip dress and ruffled lace top) to make it a bit easier on myself, but was still planning on making five separate garments.  I fully anticipated that I wouldn't finish them all, but thought it would be good to have a goal to shoot for.


What started this whole thing was this silky poly fabric I bought like 4 yds of from the remnant table at G Street Fabrics years and years ago.  I always envisioned it as a flowy maxi dress, but never got around to making it.  I thought would work perfectly for Miami, but instead of a dress, I thought I would make it slightly more versatile and make it a tank top and skirt.  I figured I could mix things up by wearing the cami with jeans or white shorts, and the skirt would also work with a solid plan top (knowing me, it would always be black).



I wanted to add a couple of tops to the wardrobe, so picked out a couple of fun, somewhat coordinating fabrics from my stash.  Both came from Emma One Sock - the first a sheer-ish textured tan cotton, and the second a fabulous Pucci (real Pucci!) cotton shirting.

I don't have a photo of the last fabric, but it was a stretch white denim from JoAnn Fabrics.  I figured with all these other crazy fabrics, I needed to add some basics in there!

I was pretty confident in my plan, so I dove right in!  Stay tuned for the next installment, in which I fail to complete several garments. :)


Comments

Popular Posts