Thursday, March 12, 2015

African Wax Print Crop Top - 3/8/15

I've had this African wax print cloth in my stash for a few years now, which my mother-in-law brought back from Ghana.  I had forgotten how nice and easy it is to sew cotton, and I made up this shirt in an evening.

I used a Burda Style pattern, the cap sleeve crop top, with a few modifications.  I lengthened it slightly (both front and back), but it's still short enough that it would expose a sliver of stomach.  As a woman now in my thirties, with a stomach that I'm not particularly fond of, that's not super desirable, but I do like it with another shirt under it as well.  I made self-bias tape, following this great tutorial, but it was quite thick and stiff, so an exposed binding around the neckline was a better application than the instructed hidden binding.  I attempted to follow the instructions to enclose the bottom of the armscye with the bias tape, but it was again just too thick and unwieldy, so I just serged the edge and turned in once.  My final modification was to sew the seam up the back instead of leaving it loose.

It's definitely a different style from what I normally wear, but it's fun to try something new once in a while.  I think I might try the pattern again, adding just a touch more length, and using a more drapey fabric so that it hangs a bit more.



No comments: