Why do I keep making little girl dresses?

Honestly, I think I have a subconscious desire to return to my youth, because I keep making this short fluffy little dress, and it's just not working.  This time I used a used a textured fabric that I picked up at JoAnn's, which John thought looked like a burlap sack.  It actually is a lot itchier than I thought, but I forgot to pre-wash it, so it could potentially soften up.

The top of the dress is the free Hemlock Tee pattern from Grainline Studio, which is intended to be for knit fabrics, but works well for wovens as well due to the looseness.  I added two gathered rectangles to the bottom, and was fancy by cutting the top into a high-low hem, but I think it would have looked better if I had just done straight across.  I also think the fabric is just too thick and stiff to work well.  Next time (yes, I'm determined to make a dress in this style that actually works!), I think a light knit fabric that drapes is the key.  I also have finally figured out that I don't like dropped shoulders on myself.  I just don't think they are as flattering as a fit-in sleeve, and it's such a relief to figure it out, as it's always been nagging at me in the back of my head whenever I wear a shirt with dropped sleeves, and I could never put my finger on it.

Also - bangs!  It's been at least 5 years since I've had them, and I wanted to mix things up a bit, so the other night I when chop, chop.




Comments

Popular Posts