Fall Sewing Plans, Part 2 (Also known as tropical vacation sewing plans)

Last week I was merrily thinking about my fall sewing plans, and it occurred to me that I'm going on a three week trip to Thailand in December, and therefore should sew my entire wardrobe for the trip.  Tropical Thailand is a little different from Fall/Winter in the Northeast, so my sewing plans have needed a little revision.  I have slowly talked myself down from the ledge of spending every waking moment sewing until December, but even still, there is no way I will be able to accomplish it all. :)  Also adding to the tricky factor is that I've been doing some reading, and it turns out there are a lot of confusing advice about what to wear there.  It's a very hot, humid country, but pretty modest, so things like shorts and tank tops are frowned upon.  I'm not a big fan of skirt-wearing in the summer (thigh rubbing issues), but I'm figuring it out.  Without further ado, here are my fall sewing plans, part 2!

1) Featherweight black/white knit tank dress, based on the Named Inari Tee dress.  My sweater cocoon dress was so comfy, I immediately thought of doing a tank dress out of this delicious feather-weight knit I got from Emma One Sock.  It will be super lightweight, but not clingy, to combat the heat, and will be just below my knees, which from what I can tell is the safest non-maxi skirt length.  Apparently it's totally possible to wear above the knee-length if it's not too short, but that is the shortest length for visiting temples.

 

2)  Repurposing one of my original fall sewing plans, I've come up with a dress pattern for my silk jersey material.  This will be the Sallie jumpsuit/dress, with the kimono top and again a just below the knee skirt.

 

3)  Knit wide-leg capri pants.  I'm going to do a test run with some pea-green jersey knit I haven't been too excited about, but mainly I want them in black for traveling purposes.  I'm thinking about just adapting the pants portion of the Sallie Jumpsuit, because I'm too lazy to cut out another pattern (it seriously takes up valuable sewing time!).  When I went to Africa, I took a pair of pants like these and they served me well, so  I think they will work for Thailand as well.


4) The Pauline Alice Rosari skirt in this fun viscose/rayon fabric which I also just got from Emma One Sock.  I would love to have the buttons down the front, but if I don't have time, I will have to skip them.  I've been experimenting with skirt shapes over the years, and I'm not really a fan of full gathered skirts, since I carry my weight in the my middle, so I think this A-line shape will work well both for my body type and for being cooler than my usual straight skirts I wear.  The pattern is actually intended for fabrics with more body than this pretty light-weight rayon, but I think it will work out in the end.  I'm going have it so the solid olive color is at the top, with the floral border.

 


5) Black/white squiggle silk tank top, using a modified Wiksten Tank and fabric which I once again got from Emma One Sock, but ages ago, and I don't have a photo of it.  Instead of making it straight down, I'm going to add a ruffle to the bottom, more like the tank below.



There are a few more less-defined things on the list as well, but I doubt I will even make it to the end of what I've listed here, so we'll save those for later!  I may have been a little devious and already made one of the items, so you'll get to see that one before too long as well. :)




Comments

Popular Posts