Monday, November 9, 2015

A Beach Cover-Up

I realized there was a project I left off my Fall sewing plans, part 2, despite the fact I had already started it!  This was just a super simple tank dress to use as a swim suit cover-up, but it evolved over time.


I started out with the Wiksten tank pattern, which I chopped at the waist, and did a simple a-line skirt, with a curved hem.  The fabric I used was originally a double-gauze, but I had already removed one layer, as I just liked the plaid fabric.  I had intended having a button placket center front, but I made my bias tape too skinny, so I dropped that idea, and just did a bias-tape binding around the neckline and armholes.  I also was more in quick-sew mode, wanting to crank it out, so I just pinned the crap out of the binding and sewed it in one step, instead of sewing it first to the outside and then the inside.  It worked out, but it's not my best binding work.




The second change involved the waist.  When I got it mostly sewn up, I just thought it looked like a sack on me, so I zig-zag stitched a skinny piece of elastic along the waist seam.  It was a bit slap-dash, but it works for a beach cover-up!



Piece number 2 of my travel wardrobe down, many more to go!





No comments: