Stress Relief Sewing

Whenever I get stressed and too busy, I try to fit in some extra sewing time.  It seems a little counter-intuitive, but it really does help my brain calm down and deal with everything.  I'm sure there is some psychological reasoning behind it, but it just works for me.  There are a couple of qualifications for it to be stress relief sewing though, as opposed to just sewing.  It has to be a simple project that doesn't require too much actual thinking, and it helps immensely if it is a TNT pattern (tried and true), because I know I can just go through it without fiddling with the fit and figuring out the instructions.

This particular project was intended to fill a need in my wardrobe, which is warm(er) casual tops, and used up some fabric I had left over from another project (Mesa Dress).  I used my usual modified Named Inari tee pattern, which is closer-fitting through the bust, and I added a band on the arms instead of a regular hem.  The length of the sleeves was entirely dictated by my available fabric, as I made them as long as possible.  To make it a tee instead of the dress which I usually make, I just chopped it off at the length I wanted, and didn't adjust the shape at all.  It wings out a bit, and I remembered later that the actual pattern has a slightly different shape for the tee version versus the dress, but oh well.  It's comfy and fits pretty well, and I'm less stressed, so it did its job!

One of the things I like about the fabric (and the style a bit), is that it reminds me of Boden clothes.  I'm usually too cheap to buy them, so I'm always happy to imitate!

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts