To capsule or not to capsule....

So I've been dancing around the idea of doing a capsule wardrobe for a few years now, and I think I might finally be ready to take the plunge.  The reason for this is two-fold:

  • I've gotten rid of most of my clothes at this point, so I don't have a lot to work with, and might as well formalize it, and
  • we're replacing our steam heat system in a few weeks with forced air heat and AC, which means I lose part of my closet.  Might as well be smart about it and look on the bright side as it forcing me to think through this whole wardrobe thing intelligently!
I haven't gone shopping in several months, but recently have been trying to fill some holes in my wardrobe in preparation for summer.  I know, I know, I should figure out what exactly my capsule wardrobe should be before buying anything, but I didn't think it through in time. :)  I've purchased a few pairs of floaty rayon shorts, which are super comfy, a little dressy looking, and work well with my more casual work from home time.  

A lot of capsule wardrobe instructions include selecting outfit silhouettes and then filling in pieces from there, but I personally like to select a few key pieces and then make as many outfits as possible.  It's probably takes longer and is a little more organic of a method, but I think it works better for me.  I've pulled together 4 sample outfits using one of the pairs of shorts I got, along with items already in my closet:


The first two are definitely on the casual side of the spectrum, just using simple tees, but the second two can be dressed up for weekends out and about with jewelry and other accessories.  As I work through my capsule wardrobe, I definitely want to add in some color, so there are options for colorful shirts, but I haven't gotten around to pulling in some color yet.

What do you think of this method of capsule creation?  Does it make sense, or am I making life too hard?

Comments

Popular Posts