Travel Sewing - Kimono Scuba Jacket

I know I'm not the only one who has big plans to sew new pieces before a trip!  I was headed to Michigan last weekend for my Grandpa's 90th birthday party, and just managed to squeeze this jacket in under the wire.  I bought this scuba with metallic flowers on a whim on a trip to Jo-Ann's a few months ago, and didn't have a plan.


I woke up one morning, and had the realization that it would make a great kimono jacket!  I was originally thinking about some kind of sweatshirt, to tone down the fanciness of the fabric a bit, but I would get a lot more wear out of the jacket, so I laid in bed and googled kimono jacket patterns and came across the Wardrobe by Me Kimono Jacket, which was exactly what I was looking for.  I had never used one of their patterns before, and it turned out great.

I sewed up a size 6, which is a touch smaller than my actual measurements, but particularly for over-sized garments it works better to underestimate instead of over, since I'm petite.  I do always double-check the finished garment dimensions first though, which in this case still gave me a couple of inches of ease.

It was a quick sew, and I followed the instructions exactly, except for the front edge, which I was being dense on the instructions and messed up.  I was able to save it, but my bottom corner isn't quite as neat as it should be.  I also adjusted the pockets so the front edge doesn't stick out quite as much as drafted, and I did that just by not lining up the pocket edges with the jacket edges, instead making the pocket piece stick out more.  I really do love the pockets though - I can't stand jackets that don't have them!  These are simple to sew and give a little pizzazz to the jacket, which is always a plus.

I used my serger for everything except top-stitching and hemming, and it was a quick sew overall (which is why I was able to wrap it up before my trip)!  I will definitely be making this one again.





Comments

Popular Posts