Fall Sewing - Bohemian Dress Inspiration

I don't know what is up with my sewing mojo these days -  I struggled so much with what I wanted to do with my white dress, and now I'm having a similar conundrum over another dress.  Maybe it's just that I don't wear a lot of dresses?  Anyway, I have a wedding to attend in late October and my anniversary is early October, so I was thinking about sewing up a dress to do double-duty.  I have vague ideas of doing a short flowy bohemian dress, and I bought this gorgeous fabric from Emma One Sock to do so with:


I was thinking also that a lot of my sewing lately has been for very event specific things, so I was hoping to make it on the more casual side of the spectrum, so I could wear it for general life as well (because it wasn't already a tricky enough decision for me).  Anywho, I put together a little inspiration pinterest board, but I still struggling to narrow it down!  Anything stick out to you?

Some general ideas I'm musing on how to put together:

  • Deep v-neck
  • Interesting gathering around the bust area 
  • High waist vs. no waist
  • 3/4 length sleeves with gathered cuff, maybe a tie?
  • Somewhat fitted a-line skirt vs. gathered, ruffled skirt 

Side note #1:  How do people make such nice pictures of their pinterest boards?  Mine looks like crap.

Side note #2:  I somehow managed to forget about Burda patterns when I was figuring out my white dress.  While scrolling through, I found patterns that fit almost every dress I was thinking about, which would have saved me just a touch of time!

Comments

STAshworth said…
That is a gorgeous fabric. Since it looks like a fairly large scale print, and you are not a . . . um, large scale person (smile), I'd go for a wide sweep of a skirt. For some reason, a maxi seems less formal.

Everybody and her sister has been making Vogue 9353. It looks in line with your inspiration dresses.
https://voguepatterns.mccall.com/sites/default/files/styles/p_l/public/products//V9253_a.jpg?itok=jIr45Em_


McLaura said…
Oooh, that's a good call, Susan! Hubby has declared the only thing he really cares about is it being short, so I think I'll stick with that, but the pattern can definitely work shorter too, I think!

Popular Posts