Draw your day

I've been expanding my hobby repertoire lately, and have gotten back into drawing and painting.  This is due to two things - a local gallery (MK Apothecary) in my town is hosting weekly open studio events, where they set up a still life or bring in a model, and folks come in, draw/paint/whatever they want to do and socialize, and it's fabulous!  I've gone four times, and it's been so fun to get to know the gallery owners, meet other creative people in town, and practice my dusty art skills.


 

The second thing is that I had bought a book a while back called Draw Your Day, which is a practical guide to starting a daily sketch journal, written by Samantha Dion Baker.  Funny story, I originally started following her on Instagram because she is the niece of the woman who owns one of my favorite fabric stores Emma One Sock.



I'm into my fourth week of doing a daily sketch of the fun little things that make up my day, and it's been such a good practice!  It combines so many things - it makes me notice more about my day, be grateful about all the little things, it's a daily discipline, and it gets me drawing!  I'm also learning to not be such a perfectionist (trust me, not everything looks good!) and just have fun, not stress about it.  I'll probably eventually switch over to an actual sketchbook and keep them all in one place, but for now I'm putting them up on the wall like a calendar - it's so fun to see my weeks fill up and how they are similar and different!


A few of my favorites:

 

 

I'm posting them daily on Instagram, and try to have little tidbits of reflections on each - follow along!

Comments

Popular Posts