Another Take on Hobbit Pants

Today will be a two-for-one - an outfit story in this post, and I'll follow it up with all the sewing details for my Emerson cropped pants in the next post.



First the story, in three parts - I have a bit of a mixed relationship with this style of pants, whatever you want to call them (culottes, cropped wide-leg pants, etc).  I wore them a lot as a kid, and liked them then.  Back when they started coming back into style a few years ago, I jumped on the bandwagon and made myself a pair out of a fabulous turquoise, black, and white wool plaid.  John dubbed them my hobo hobbit pants and was not on board at all. :)  I've had a couple of different iterations since then as well, and I like them, and I really like wearing them when it's like 95 degrees out, so they'll stay in my closet, whether or not they make me look like a hobbit.  More details on the pants will come in the next post, but they are the Emerson cropped pants from True Bias, and made out of a heavy-weight grey linen from Ikea.

The second part of my story involves the shirt - it's a fairly new addition to my wardrobe (Banana Republic, May, $45), and while it's simple, it's a style that I've stored on many a pinterest board over the years and have never quite found the very specific version I've wanted until now.  I try not to fall into the trap of buying multiples of the same thing (because I know I'll always just wear the black one anyways), but I did buy this shirt in red, blue, grey and black and have worn all of them.  It's just such a perfect shirt for work, because I prefer knit tops over woven, and it's just dressy enough to look like I'm not wearing a t-shirt.

And the last piece of the story brings everything together - similarly to the shirt style, I've had a photo saved for years of a women wearing wide-leg light grey pants with a light grey sweater (which I weirdly can't find at the moment), and I've always wanted to recreate it.  I just happened to figure out that I could when I was trying to figure out what to wear to the office today (my office wear section is a bit pathetic at the moment, given my lack of leaving my house these days), and here it is!  I've been on an on-going quest to figure out my style for years, and one of the problems is that I feel like is that what I'm attracted to changes a lot, but certain things stay the same (but never in a cohesive way that I can pin down my style).  There is such a satisfaction of accomplishing this look after all these years though, particularly when I can tweak it in ways that I know make it better for me (cropped wide-leg pants vs. long wide-leg pants,  close-fitting top vs. loose sweater).

While the story is technically done, I will round out the outfit details.  The shoes I talked about in my last outfit story actually, and I'm trying to wear them more, so lucky they happened to be light grey!   I'm not a big jewelry person these days, so keeping it simple with my wedding ring (well, one of the rings I wear as my wedding ring, that could be a whole post in and of itself), my watch and big silver hoop earrings.  Apparently things I've loved a long time are the theme of this story, because I have worn big silver hoops for years and years now.  This is at least the second pair I've purchased from Tiffany Anne Jewelry and I also have them in gold, and love them (only reason I've bought them multiple times is because I lost one).  I can never make up my mind whether I want to go silver or gold with jewelry, so when it comes to things like basic hoops, I buy them in both (oooh, another theme to the story - basics in bulk!).

Comments

STAshworth said…
My first thought when I saw the photo, before I read the post - I love this monochromatic look. I have three wedding rings that I alternate. I’ve read that Angie at You Look Fab has four, and she might have gotten another one. One belonged to her departed mom, so of course she added it to the mix.
McLaura said…
Thanks, Susan! I have four rings, and I wear them in different combinations, but that doesn't even count my grandmother's wedding ring (which I usually wear on my right hand)! Mine mostly stem from me designing my own ring, and the first jeweler not getting it right (twice). I think I have a blog post idea for next week now... :)

Popular Posts