Monday, January 12, 2015

Rawr!

I spent the majority of my weekend sewing away, and this is one of the three things I completed (all three had been previously started, so I'm not that super speedy).  I had been eyeing this cheetah twill (from the home decor section at JoAnn's) for a while, thinking I would make a simple woven tee, but then I got the Rosie top pattern from Style Arc, and even though it was intended for a more slinky fabric, figured I would give it a try.


Based on some internet perusing to see how others fared with the pattern, I knew I would have to make a few adjustments, as well as figuring out how the twill fabric would work.  I lowered the waistline by 2 or 3 inches (the line drawing is deceptive, it's actually quite a bit higher in the pattern itself), and I moved the bodice seams in towards the center 1" each.  The bodice still wasn't fitting quite right over the bust, so I took in the top angled bit of the seam some more, which made the neckline all wacky, and I lowered it to fix it.  I knew the sleeves would be problematic with the twill, so I cut them back to be tank top straps.  



The bust fit is still mushy looking, which I think was actually made worse by the fact I lengthened the top.  The pattern is intended to be a looser-fitting top without a zipper, and I think tightening it up and adding a zipper in the side would have fixed that up.


More looseness in the back, which again would be fixed up by adding a zipper and either slimming it up or moving the waist seam back up.


All in all, I'm not super happy with the fit, but I knew it was a bit of a crap shoot going into it.  It may end up in my goodwill pile, but it was a fun experiment.

No comments: