The pattern I used is the Emerson Crop Pants from True Bias, and I love it! I will definitely be making them again. I did have to make a few changes along the way though. I didn't have quite enough fabric to make the full-length pants, so I had to shorten them up a bit, maybe 6" or so? I think that is what contributes to the hobbit-ness of them, and they would have looked better with the full length. True to form, I also decided to throw fabric recommendations to the wind, and use a thicker woven wool. This required it to be lined for comfort, as it is an itchy fabric, so I just cut out the pattern pieces also in a light-weight black cotton that I sewed in at the waistband. I think I also had to adjust the waistband construction a bit, due to the heavier fabric + lining, but I don't remember quite what I did there. The insides aren't my prettiest work, but it looks good from the outside, so that's all that matters!
This fabric came to me in a round-about way. I found it when digging through my mom's fabric stash, and she got it from her sister's mother-in-law, and I just love the color and pattern. I did debate for a while though which side to use. I kind of liked the more muted version of the reverse, but after a unanimous vote to go with bold via Instagram, I decided to go for it, and I'm super happy with the decision.
Check out my plaid placement! I was so proud of myself and how careful I was - that is until I went to sew all the pieces together and realized I did my pleats the wrong direction on one side. :) The fabric is a bit of a loose weave and really didn't like being unpicked, so I decided to just leave it, as it's hard to notice with the busy pattern.