Hobo Hobbit Pants

In a way, it's nice to have six months of sewing that I haven't documented, because it means I'm set for a while for frequent blog posts!  I finished these pants back in October, and had several in-progress shots on Instagram, so they may be familiar.  I love them dearly, but John not-so-fondly refers to them as my hobo hobbit pants, because apparently I look like a really short homeless person, I guess?  I get lots of compliments though and I love them, so I just ignore him. :)





The pattern I used is the Emerson Crop Pants from True Bias, and I love it!  I will definitely be making them again.  I did have to make a few changes along the way though.  I didn't have quite enough fabric to make the full-length pants, so I had to shorten them up a bit, maybe 6" or so?  I think that is what contributes to the hobbit-ness of them, and they would have looked better with the full length.  True to form, I also decided to throw fabric recommendations to the wind, and use a thicker woven wool.  This required it to be lined for comfort, as it is an itchy fabric, so I just cut out the pattern pieces also in a light-weight black cotton that I sewed in at the waistband.  I think I also had to adjust the waistband construction a bit, due to the heavier fabric + lining, but I don't remember quite what I did there.  The insides aren't my prettiest work, but it looks good from the outside, so that's all that matters!

This fabric came to me in a round-about way.  I found it when digging through my mom's fabric stash, and she got it from her sister's mother-in-law, and I just love the color and pattern.  I did debate for a while though which side to use.  I kind of liked the more muted version of the reverse, but after a unanimous vote to go with bold via Instagram, I decided to go for it, and I'm super happy with the decision.


\\

Check out my plaid placement!  I was so proud of myself and how careful I was - that is until I went to sew all the pieces together and realized I did my pleats the wrong direction on one side. :)  The fabric is a bit of a loose weave and really didn't like being unpicked, so I decided to just leave it, as it's hard to notice with the busy pattern.


Comments

Popular Posts