Woven Wool Hemlock

Many of my latest makes are with relatively recently purchased fabrics, as I keep getting distracted and buying more, but I do have more discipline these days with actually having projects in mind when I buy the fabric, so they actually get made!  I bought this fun houndstooth woven wool fabric back in October (along with a coordinating lining fabric), all set to make a mod 60s style jumper.  I really don't wear that many dresses lately though, and after making a jumper right before (yet to be blogged), I decided what I really needed in my wardrobe was more tops.


While a thicker woven fabric is not particularly suited for a sweater style, I decided to wing it and see what I could come up with.  I actually couldn't figure out how to wear it once I got it all sewn up, but after wearing it all day yesterday, it's super comfy and I love it!  The style isn't the greatest, so I'm not sure how much wear it will get out of the house, but it's great for adding an extra layer for lounging/working from home.



 

The pattern I used was the free Hemlock Tee from Grainline Studio.  I tried to make it a couple of years ago with a knit, and it turned out to be a mess (crappy fabric, not the pattern).  I remembered though a blog post about making it up as a woven, and thought it might be a good option for the silhouette I was going for.  The only changes I made were to shorten it and I made the sleeves as long as I could given my available fabric.  I also widened the end of the sleeves a bit, to allow for a slouchier fit, since I knew I would always be wearing another shirt under this one (while not terrible, it is wool and a bit scratchy).

In my ongoing quest to create a mix-and-match wardrobe, I also had wearing it with my red puffy vest in mind.  I wear this vest a lot around the house, but I pretty much stick to wearing it with white tees, a blue/red checked scarf, or a blue/red checked button-down shirt.  I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the houndstooth sweater with it, but it does give me another option!  This is how I wore it yesterday:


It's a bit too much bulk overall I think.  I think the sweater would also look good with a white button-down under it, but I just got rid of mine, as it wasn't as white as it used to be.  Another thought I've had is to buy another yard of the fabric and make the sleeves full length - what do you think?

Comments

Popular Posts