Me Made Tweed Skirt - 11/3/14

I purchased this lovely boucle tweed fabric this summer, with a skirt in mind, but it took it a while to take shape.  Friday night after trick-or-treating, I retreated to my sewing studio and drafted my own skirt pattern, based on Deby's tutorial (which is fabulous), and cut out my fabric.  Sunday I went to work, and sewed away.  

A basic skirt is not a difficult thing to sew, but I did encounter a few roadblocks.  The first time I sewed in my invisible zipper, it was not lined up correctly, so I took it out and tried again, but that time my sewing machine got angry with me for some reason, and decided to sew through my index finger.  Ow.  That resulted in running downstairs to interrupt football and having John bandage me up.  My mom sewed through her finger when I was like ten, and I've dreaded the inevitable event myself ever since (I'm one of the most accident-prone people I know - only my dad is worse, so at least I get it honestly).  Not to be defeated by simple machinery though, I trudged back up to conquer the zipper.  I got it all sewed up beautifully, and then zipped it up, forgetting that I had trimmed the zipper, and there was no longer a stop at the top.  That resulted in the zipper pull flying off and ruining the zipper.  This is how my sewing goes usually - it's quite frustrating.  Anyway, I gave up on the zipper and decided to go with elastic, since my hips aren't that much bigger than my waist, and my weird dimensions mean I can get away with it.  It also helped that I cut the waistband on the bias, mostly to be pretty, but it also means that it's stretchier than it would be on the straight grain.  It's a tight squeeze to get it up and down, but it fits beautifully when on.  


Sorry for the blurry photo - for some reason, my camera doesn't focus properly when I use the remote and I haven't figured it out yet.



I used the selvage edge for the hem - both a nice design detail and a time-saving device!

Waistband on the bias - saved my butt when it came to the elastic instead of zipper.

It didn't take much fabric at all to make, so I have about 2/3 of a yard left of the fabric.  I'm thinking of making some sort of vest/top out of it.  What do you think - would that look silly?  What style top do you think would look good?

What I wore:
  • green crew-neck sweater
  • olive/orange tweed mini skirt
  • black monk oxfords
  • black/silver watch
  • yellow stone earrings
Where I went:
  • work
How I felt:
  • fun, yet dressed up (but maybe not as professional)
What would have made it better:
  • nothing really
Rating:  
  • 9


Comments

Susan Ashworth said…
A vest is a great idea. If it turns out that it doesn't work with the skirt, you can always wear the vest with this shirt and pants or jeans. The fabric is lovely.
Laura said…
Thanks, Susan! I agree, a vest would be the most versatile - I'm looking for a pattern now!

Popular Posts