I based the vest on a Burda pattern:
It was fairly easy to figure out without actually buying the pattern, given its simplicity. I did it that way both because I'm cheap, and don't want to spent the $6 on a pattern that is basically a rectangle, and also I'm lazy and don't want to spend as much time hooking up the printer, printing out a bazillion pieces of paper that I have to tape together and then cut out the pieces.
A few changes I made were accidentally leaving out a couple of darts at the neckline (I might add them back in at some point), and I left of the little sleeve binding things. Because it's a lovely wool tweed, I just stay-stitches all of the edges and left them raw, which looks nice and is a super time-saver. All in all, it took me about an hour to make it up. Because my wool fabric is significantly bulkier than the satin the pattern calls for, it looked a bit like a poncho, especially from the back, so I made a belt as well. This was also the most material-efficient garment I've ever made - I had one yard of fabric, and at the end I had about a 6"x12" piece and random trimmings left over.
Without further ado, I give you my new vest.